Thursday, July 10, 2008

Drinking Buddy

Today is a new day in my life. You get two Youth Pastors together and it's only a matter of time before things start to go down hill. Today, Titi, the Romanian Youth Pastor, invited me to go do some visitation with him. They've had some elderly church members that have not been able to make it to church due to illness, and therefore have missed the Lord's Supper. So, we visited three different homes to sit and administer the Lord's Supper with these brothers and sisters in Christ. As we were driving, Titi told me that it would be good for us to take the Lord's Supper at every home with these church members so that they will feel a part of the fellowship. I agreed. He then told me that in America we used the grape juice, but it was their custom to use the wine. I told Titi that I've never had alcohol before. He almost crashed when I told him that! He said that he would only fill my cup with a little and he will make sure I get the least amount. So sure enough, as we went from home to home, both of us sharing from the Word, we both partook of the Lord's Supper.
This was a wierd experience for me. All my life I've had such a bold stand against any type of alcohol so as not to destroy my witness; and now, in a different culture, it was almost as if NOT partaking would have been a bad thing. It was awkward and definitely a taste I do not prefer.

4 comments:

James W said...

wow they send you across the world and you start drinking! I am thinking you need to sign up for AA when you get back to Cameron!

Lanny said...

But they were only in shot glasses...I think that is what htey are called.

Lila said...

Casey -- It's amazing how God uses things in our lives. Imagine your first taste of alcohol was for His glory!!! So proud of you and your leadership as you share Jesus with the people of Romania. God is blessing the efforts and moving His kingdom forward.

Grace said...

Steve would be right there with you! He's never tasted alcohol either...